[Gllug] Hardware giveaway!

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Jul 28 19:42:28 UTC 2009

On 07/28/2009 03:52 PM, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Most x86 server rack mount units have proper serial consoles, even for the bios.
> It is a shame that normal PCs don't do the same. I should have been easy enough.

Most x86 serial con support I've seen is just a redirection with mostly
no smarts at all,eg. powercycle a 'hung' machine is out of the question
since the con has no mechanism to trap signals.

Although, one might argue that this directly maps back to the legacy of
what and how the bios stuff works on these machines.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk