[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 10 08:20:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Bruce Richardson<itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:45:17AM +0100, Ryan wrote:
>> manage the IT infrastructure. Otherwise you get an anarchic situation
>> of users (even tech-savvy ones) installing a range of software as they
>> see fit which can prove nigh-impossible to support and maintain
>> efficiently.
>
> In a small, geek-heavy company like the average web start-up, that's not
> anarchy.  In those conditions, it's a good thing, enhancing productivity
> and getting the most out of the talented people you hired (you did hire
> talented people for your start-up, right?)  The flip side is that geeks
> are expected to fix their own workstations when they break them.
>
> In anything larger with a higher proportion of non-tech staff, yes, you
> do get anarchy without some enforcement of restrictions and security
> policy.
>
> --
> Bruce

You are a very optimistic, very lucky, or both.

How it is productive to have a great programmer doing system
administration work? Or a Sys Admin running like a headless chicken
because, yet again, somebody broke something?

In my opinion one should agree to a base system with the geeks which
they are happy with, and then lock it down.

Such an arrangement will save pain and tears to all the parties involved.

In any operation bigger than two guys in their garage, somebody should
be nominated as the infrastructure maintainer and be given the power
to do his job.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk