[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Jul 10 09:16:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 09:20:12AM +0100, JLMS wrote:

> You are a very optimistic, very lucky, or both.
>
> How it is productive to have a great programmer doing system
> administration work?

Desktop support isn't sysadmin work.  Application, server and network
maintenance, release process tasks, those kind of things are sysadmin
work.  If somebody is doing desktop support and calling themselves a
sysadmin, thats... not what I would call them.  If a developer messes up
their local copy of the repository or nukes their hard disk, they get a
set of installation disks and learn not to be so stupid next time.

> Or a Sys Admin running like a headless chicken
> because, yet again, somebody broke something?

I managed a team of sysadmins in a medium size web consultancy for
several years and never had that problem.

> In any operation bigger than two guys in their garage, somebody should
> be nominated as the infrastructure maintainer and be given the power
> to do his job.

If you can't set up your various environments (office, development,
staging/UAT/OAT, production) so that they are protected from the
inevitable accidents and misjudgements of developers, you're in the
wrong job.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin