[Gllug] Symlinks not following over samba/NFS in linux

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 00:29:54 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

First time member/post here, looking forward to posting a bit more as time
goes on!

I've got a SOHO-grade consumer NAS (QNAP TS409) which has a bunch of shares
which will quite happily mount in either NFS, Samba, etc as well as Fuse,
SSHFS.

I have a small issue, mounting the share's in Windows, it'll follow symlinks
(even to area's I wouldn't have thought it would be able to), but wiithin
Ubuntu machines I simply get dead links due to the paths the sym links point
to, i.e a symlink to /share/MD0_DATA/Other in my main public share
(/share/Public) works perfectly fine in Windows.  In ubuntu, the link is
dead, as the path /share/MD0_DATA/Other doesn't exist locally.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  Do I need to mount these drives with a
special parameter which let's the remote filesystem sort out the symbolic
links, or maybe some complete misunderstanding I may have about the whole
process.

Cheers

Shannon

Shannon Carver