[Gllug] Symlinks not following over samba/NFS in linux

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Fri Jul 17 09:40:42 UTC 2009

Shannon Carver <shannon.carver at gmail.com> writes:

> I have a small issue, mounting the share's in Windows, it'll follow symlinks
> (even to area's I wouldn't have thought it would be able to), but wiithin
> Ubuntu machines I simply get dead links due to the paths the sym links point
> to, i.e a symlink to /share/MD0_DATA/Other in my main public share
> (/share/Public) works perfectly fine in Windows.  In ubuntu, the link is
> dead, as the path /share/MD0_DATA/Other doesn't exist locally.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?  Do I need to mount these drives with a
> special parameter which let's the remote filesystem sort out the symbolic
> links, or maybe some complete misunderstanding I may have about the whole
> process.

Samba follows symlinks on the server, NFS leaves them alone and it is
the client's responsibility to follow them. As /share/MD0_DATA/Other
doesn't exist on the client, the Linux box can't follow the link.

Keep share names and NFS paths in sync (so what's /a/b/c on the NAS is
/a/b/c on the client) and/or stick to relative symlinks where possible
(ie. link to ../Public/file/is/here rather than /share/Public/file/is/here).

You can always mount in /share/MD0_DATA/Other and link /share/Public to
that if you want to keep the naming scheme you have now.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk