[Gllug] Red Hat versus other qualifications

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 15:23:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:12:23PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> I'm not impressed by the prejudice against certifications among many
> geeks.  At some levels of the business, Software Engineering is one of
> the last refuges of the cowboy and too many people who should know
> better seem to relish the lack of standards and general shoddy practice.

That is because there are some cowboys who are able to get through some of
the certification exams and still end up knowing zilch. This is especially
true of the mutiple-guess-test type of exam - where the answers can be learned
without understanding what it is all about. This is why I like the RedHat cert
exam [[ remember out original topic ]] - because there is a focus on achieving
things rather than answering questions.

These people give the rest of us a bad name.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk