[Gllug] Red Hat versus other qualifications

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Jul 3 10:54:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:23:00PM +0100, Alain wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:12:23PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>
> > I'm not impressed by the prejudice against certifications among many
> > geeks.  At some levels of the business, Software Engineering is one of
> > the last refuges of the cowboy and too many people who should know
> > better seem to relish the lack of standards and general shoddy practice.
>
> That is because there are some cowboys who are able to get through some of
> the certification exams and still end up knowing zilch.

No, really, there are plenty of cowboys who've never even tried to get a
certification.  In the environments served by people on this list, I'm
willing to bet that the cowboys without a chitty significatnly outnumber
the cowboys with.  The widespread prejudices against responsible
standards and working practices only make that worse.
--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.