[Gllug] Hi!

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 6 14:59:28 UTC 2009

David Damerell wrote:
> On Sunday, 5 Jul 2009, Nix wrote:
>
>> It doesn't seem to happen on this list, but I've seen, fairly
>> frequently, Debian-obsessed people (never or rarely Debian developers)
>> act exactly like that: Debian is perfect, Ubuntu is lower that the
>> dogs... this is plainly a silly attitude.
>>

> Straw men aside, I think the real attitude here is that Ubuntu have
> managed to make a mess of a lot of the things that made Debian good,
> and that this means it is not particularly useful. I don't think
> that's a particularly silly attitude.

If someone were to say that Ubuntu was a Noob's distribution, I wouldn't
bothering correcting them for the [0-9]% exception rate.

I am warming to Ubuntu a little after years of defiant resistance, but
Redhat still rules the roost and I don't see how or why any credible
shops would go Ubuntu. It's only little web2.0 startups without
significant expertise that are using it from what I can tell of the job
market.

In my experience ubuntu servers actually have too many non-security
updates which is a mistake for a server distro as this causes alerts,
and wastes admin time with patching. I'm yet to hear a very experienced
and highly skilled person to recommend ubuntu for servers (because they
should know better).

-h

--
Hari Sekhon