[Gllug] Hi!

william pink will.pink at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:13:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> David Damerell wrote:
> > On Sunday, 5 Jul 2009, Nix wrote:
> >
> >> It doesn't seem to happen on this list, but I've seen, fairly
> >> frequently, Debian-obsessed people (never or rarely Debian developers)
> >> act exactly like that: Debian is perfect, Ubuntu is lower that the
> >> dogs... this is plainly a silly attitude.
> >>

> > Straw men aside, I think the real attitude here is that Ubuntu have
> > managed to make a mess of a lot of the things that made Debian good,
> > and that this means it is not particularly useful. I don't think
> > that's a particularly silly attitude.
> >
> If someone were to say that Ubuntu was a Noob's distribution, I wouldn't
> bothering correcting them for the [0-9]% exception rate.
>
> I am warming to Ubuntu a little after years of defiant resistance, but
> Redhat still rules the roost and I don't see how or why any credible
> shops would go Ubuntu. It's only little web2.0 startups without
> significant expertise that are using it from what I can tell of the job
> market.
>
> In my experience ubuntu servers actually have too many non-security
> updates which is a mistake for a server distro as this causes alerts,
> and wastes admin time with patching. I'm yet to hear a very experienced
> and highly skilled person to recommend ubuntu for servers (because they
> should know better).
>
> -h
>
> --
> Hari Sekhon
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon
>
> --

I use Ubuntu Ubuntu 8.04.1 Server for all servers and have no problems what
so ever so I would like to know why you think I should know better, as your
linkedin says you would like to pursue skills in Windows 2008 / Exchange
2007 which makes me doubt the credibility of your reply somewhat ;)

If only people could explain themselves more it wouldn't make them look like
such buffoons.