[Gllug] Why can't I mount a hidden /.evolution directory through NFS?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Thu Jul 16 20:31:44 UTC 2009

I want to mount my .evolution directory to my (utterly ancient) laptop
from my desktop so I can escape the desk and it isn't mounting it.
Mounts all the other nfs shares fine for shared data access.

Mount -a says something about program not registered (but it isn't a
program I'm mounting... and evolution is reading from the remote IMAP
server I use fine for the inbox (just that my archived message store is
too big for the IMAP allowance and I filter off messages from the IMAP
server to this local disk store on the desktop when starting up
evolution and at its mail check intervals for mailing lists and so
forth).

I'm a simple "luser" so don't understand the under the hood
technicalities - can someone explain to me if there is anything I need
to do on the laptop or the desktop where I've exported the /.evolution
directory under exports, that I don't understand and need to do (or if
hidden directories can't be exported, which given the flexibility of
unix I find hard to believe!!).

Alas my deteriorating spinal injuries mean that I can't sit at a desktop
for more than a few minutes hence retreat to orthopaedic chair with ye
olde laptop - and no income anymore means can't afford to update laptop
for a good while yet (it just works under xubuntu if I only keep a
couple of firefox tabs open and run flashblock!). All rather sad I
know... but it would be nice to be able to do mail from mailing lists
from the comfie chair as at present I can't really participate in things
like online debates if everything gets dumped into one humongous inbox
and dis-threaded and non contiguous (and I'm isolated stuck at home
enough as it is without any more being cut off from the outside world
for a once very active person sob).

Must be thousands of people like me around looking for cheap solutions
and leverage of existing capable assets like my 2gh core2duo (ubuntu
9.04) and old kit like this laptop.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make remote x windows work to no
success, also missing something obvious there I know it but what??

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk