[Gllug] OT: Getting a libelous website taken down ...

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Jul 2 15:52:40 UTC 2009

On 2/7/09 16:37, Dylan wrote:
> I have been informed of a defamatory website aimed at myself and others. I'm,
> obviously, not prepared to reveal the address or content on an open forum but
> can any of you give me some advice as to which people to contact in an
> attempt to have it removed? What are my chances?

Have you contacted the site owners and asked to have the content removed ?

Is the content knowingly defamatory or is it just inaccurate/profane ?

> I have done whois and dig on the domain so I know the registrant and hosting
> company. It's a .uk address so I am assuming I should contact Nominet and the
> hosts.

Depending on your point of view, the shoe may now be on the other foot.
According to most free-speech advocates, the hosting provider should
only take down the site if you can prove in a court of law that the site
is defamatory, or if it breaches their ToS which might be easier to prove.

If the content includes threats of violence, real or fictional (c.f.
recent case involving girl bands and slasher fiction), you may have
recourse to the police.

At the end of the day, if it's just something you disagree with or wish
hadn't been made public, you may not have a leg to stand on.

Assuming that you do, consult a lawyer and get some letters off to the
registrant and the hosting provider.

Good luck,

Simon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk