[Gllug] Hi!

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:57:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Hari Sekhon<hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 16:31 +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
>>

>>> Will you bet your company that Canonical will still be around that
>>> long, given that their current business is heavily loss-making?
>>>

>>> Richard Jones
>>> Red Hat
>>>

>> Could there be a bit of "axe-grinding" going on here?
>>
>> In my experience, Ubuntu is a fine desktop implementation, but if you
>> want servers, Red Hat / Centos is the way to go...
>>
> I was just contemplating replying to that one..
>
> Rich, as much as I respect you, in fairness this smells a bit like the
> FUD that M$ slings at competitors.
>
> You might be right, but then again it might just be saber rattling.
>
> <snip>

Canonical claims that their business model is sustainable, and Mark
Shuttleworth is on record saying that he will keep putting his money
for 3 to 5 years from now ( Canonical,  being a private company, don't
have to show proof of its financial claims, but neither can we know if
it is  losing money or not for certain, as claimed earlier).

Such level of support is more than enough for many, specially for
desktop machines, where we can reinstall something quickly to replace
what we have if needed (once you move desktops away from proprietary
solutions, a wholesale migration to a different distro is immensely
simpler than replacing a proprietary solution, since we have properly
packaged applications for all major distros and most of the smaller
ones).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk