[Gllug] Hi!

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:38:24 UTC 2009

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 16:31 +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
>

>> Will you bet your company that Canonical will still be around that
>> long, given that their current business is heavily loss-making?
>>

>> Richard Jones
>> Red Hat
>>

> Could there be a bit of "axe-grinding" going on here?
>
> In my experience, Ubuntu is a fine desktop implementation, but if you
> want servers, Red Hat / Centos is the way to go...

I was just contemplating replying to that one..

Rich, as much as I respect you, in fairness this smells a bit like the
FUD that M$ slings at competitors.

You might be right, but then again it might just be saber rattling.

All in all, I'd rather see Red Hat succeed for all their contributions
rather than Canonical trying to steal your thunder, which Novell and
Oracle have both failed to do so far and for good reason.

I'd say if I had the choice, Red Hat is definitely the safer bet for the
long term support that is without question (as long as Oracle doesn't
buy you, which I think would make a lot of us cry)

I think it's just because that statement came from someone who works for
Red Hat, that we all have to take it with a pinch of salt. It might be a
bit evil of me, but I think a lot of people would laugh if Canonical
eventually ran out of money and folded. Then again, they're also not
cheap, so maybe their margins are high enough to survive... or maybe
that is why people would rather get Red Hat's support for similar money...

Best of luck.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon