[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jul 10 21:00:34 UTC 2009

On 10 Jul 2009, JLMS verbalised:
> No, it isn't, I agree, still a compromise can be reached. In my
> experience once everybody understands how those compromises are
> reached everybody pulls his weight to move things forward.

But why do you need to 'compromise' over, say, someone's choice of text
editor? It's not as if one person's decision to use joe stops other
people from using vim or emacs or TextPad or even ed. Yet a standard
thou-shalt-not-touch-it lockdown policy enforces this sort of thing.

(Let's not even *talk* about people like me, with ~2Gb of heavily
patched software in a multiarch tree under my home directory exported to
the whole company and widely used. Why no I would *not* be satisfied
with vi, nor even with XEmacs 21.5.x unless it has *these* patches
installed...)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk