[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 11 02:17:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Nix<nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2009, JLMS verbalised:
>> No, it isn't, I agree, still a compromise can be reached. In my
>> experience once everybody understands how those compromises are
>> reached everybody pulls his weight to move things forward.
>
> But why do you need to 'compromise' over, say, someone's choice of text
> editor? It's not as if one person's decision to use joe stops other
> people from using vim or emacs or TextPad or even ed. Yet a standard
> thou-shalt-not-touch-it lockdown policy enforces this sort of thing.
>
> (Let's not even *talk* about people like me, with ~2Gb of heavily
> patched software in a multiarch tree under my home directory exported to
> the whole company and widely used. Why no I would *not* be satisfied
> with vi, nor even with XEmacs 21.5.x unless it has *these* patches
> installed...)

You can standardize to 2 or 3 editors or varying complexity. You don't need 10.

The reason for this is simple: every piece of software is an
additional problem waiting to happen (been there, done that, got the
t-shirt).

The place for a software repository of the kind you are talking about
is a properly maintained software repository, not a user's home
directory. If I was paid a quid for each time somebody thought that
was a good idea and it wasn't, I would be rich by now :-)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk