[Gllug] Domain registrars

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Jul 28 12:24:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 12:55 +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> I did consider becoming a Nominet 'member', however the costs were
> too high: #400 to join & #100/year. There is little money to be made in
> registration, there is a lot of competition. Most registrars do it in
> the hope of selling other services. Because of the lack of money there
> is little incentive to puts lots of resources into getting it right.

If you are managing less than 50 domains it's not financially beneficial
to have your own tag if that's your only criteria. 50 domains is not
very many though so it's very much a worthwhile investment for anyone in
the ISP or hosting business.

Nominet's systems have not, in the past, been very easy to build a
business model around as they were asynchronous and so required
additional processing and, in some cases, manual intervention.

Things are better now however inbound transfers are still a pain
compared to other TLDs as manual processing is required.

I wrote a perl module to process registrations and renewals, etc for .UK
domains. Now that Nominet offer an EPP interface I'm moving over to that
but I'm using a canned domain registration system rather than writing my
own code as I just don't have the time. It's not ideal but I'm happy
enough.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk