[Gllug] Laptop Docking stations for extra monitors

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Wed Jul 1 09:03:51 UTC 2009

On 1 Jul 2009, at 09:52, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> I've been wondering whether to spend a bunch of money on a desktop so
> that I can have a couple of large monitors running off a decent video
> card or whether to just add a docking station or other widget to turn
> my laptop into something approaching a desktop workstation.

Hi Aaron,

What sort of graphics hardware does your laptop have? Often they seem
able to drive pretty serious screens. My old PowerBook can drive a
dual-link DVI output at 2560x1600 and I suspect that newer posh
laptops (i.e. not my plastic MacBook with its single-link mini-DVI)
can drive even greater resolutions. A single dual-link DVI port can
drive two moderate or one very high resolution panel. Is that going to
be sufficient for your needs?

I too have noticed the rise in external video hardware. Despite having
been a dual-21" CRT junkie for years, having been working on 12-13"
laptop screen for the last 3 years, I'm not convinced that one does
get significant productivity gains from big screens. Particularly not
in comparison to the productivity gains of being able to carry just a
laptop and work from anywhere (I'm in the garden right now). YMMV
obviously and this is predicated on availablity of virtual desktops,
GNU screen, etc etc, but I find that giving up the big screens and the
concommitant tethering to a desk has been great in terms of working
practices for me.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk