[Gllug] Laptop Docking stations for extra monitors

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 08:52:07 UTC 2009

Hi GLLUGers,

I've been wondering whether to spend a bunch of money on a desktop so
that I can have a couple of large monitors running off a decent video
card or whether to just add a docking station or other widget to turn
my laptop into something approaching a desktop workstation.

The Kensington dualview docking station looks quite good, 60 quid on
amazon - oddly sidecar charge 700 dollars to drive 2 extra monitors
and over a grand for four.

There's also the option of a pcmcia video card with a seperate cable
to provide 1 DVA and 1 analogue which probably works out at 200 or so
quid, but I assume it's likely to have better resolution and
performance than the docking station.

Anyway.. has anybody got a docking station or similar solution working
nicely with linux, or are they all (as I suspect) disappointing ?

Cheers,

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons