[Gllug] Hi!

william pink will.pink at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:11:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> william pink wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com
> > <mailto:hpsekhon at googlemail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     David Damerell wrote:
> >     > On Sunday, 5 Jul 2009, Nix wrote:
> >     >
> >     >> It doesn't seem to happen on this list, but I've seen, fairly
> >     >> frequently, Debian-obsessed people (never or rarely Debian
> >     developers)
> >     >> act exactly like that: Debian is perfect, Ubuntu is lower that the
> >     >> dogs... this is plainly a silly attitude.
> >     >>
> >     >
> >     > Straw men aside, I think the real attitude here is that Ubuntu have
> >     > managed to make a mess of a lot of the things that made Debian
> good,
> >     > and that this means it is not particularly useful. I don't think
> >     > that's a particularly silly attitude.
> >     >
> >     If someone were to say that Ubuntu was a Noob's distribution, I
> >     wouldn't
> >     bothering correcting them for the [0-9]% exception rate.
> >
> >     I am warming to Ubuntu a little after years of defiant resistance,
> but
> >     Redhat still rules the roost and I don't see how or why any credible
> >     shops would go Ubuntu. It's only little web2.0 startups without
> >     significant expertise that are using it from what I can tell of
> >     the job
> >     market.
> >
> >     In my experience ubuntu servers actually have too many non-security
> >     updates which is a mistake for a server distro as this causes alerts,
> >     and wastes admin time with patching. I'm yet to hear a very
> >     experienced
> >     and highly skilled person to recommend ubuntu for servers (because
> >     they
> >     should know better).
> >
> >     -h
> >
> >     --
> >     Hari Sekhon
> >     http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon
> >

> > I use Ubuntu Ubuntu 8.04.1 Server for all servers and have no problems
> > what so ever so I would like to know why you think I should know
> > better, as your linkedin says you would like to pursue skills in
> > Windows 2008 / Exchange 2007 which makes me doubt the credibility of
> > your reply somewhat ;)
> >
> > If only people could explain themselves more it wouldn't make them
> > look like such buffoons.

> Will, that's actually a bit dated, the rest of it is more interesting,
> but I am an IT professional and if companies will run things like that
> then I have to accept that and learn them too... even if they are not as
> interesting as the rest of the things that I do, if you read the rest of
> my profile...
>
> Anyway, personal attacks aside, (which usually indicate a losing
> argument) I guess the rest of the world running redhat must simply not
> know what they are doing...

> [...]
It was more a humorous personal attack and no way a spiteful one, I did read
most of
your profile and was very much impressed.

I am in no way anti-redhat I used to be administer a cluster of Redhat ES4
nodes and my background
initially was Redhat/CentOS/Fedora and that suited me fine, when I started
this job it was very much a Ubuntu/Debian shop purely
out of personal preference from the previous administrator and by that time
I was a heavy user of Ubuntu so
I carried on that trend. I think I would be happy with a Redhat deriative or
a Debian deriative and I have no
regrets choosing Ubuntu it does everything I require which I am sure Redhat
would do to but I personally don't think it could do it any better.

Going from that point of market observation then I should be using Windows
should I not? I choose to use Debian on my
Desktop because its what I prefer not because someone said I must use X, Y
or Z because everyone else is. From a web server market OS view
I would certainly be very surprised if the majority was Redhat to be honest
(I am willing to accept this with proof though)

If we all used all the same distro it would certainly be a boring old LUG
thats for sure