[Gllug] Fedora 11 gets it wrong

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Jun 10 11:11:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:57:19AM +0100, Karanbir wrote:
> On 06/10/2009 10:41 AM, John Edwards wrote:
> >> I've been tracking the installer code, and afaict, they havent lost the
> >> option that clearly says something like : 'Text mode is basic, would you
> >> like a VNC installer started instead'
> >
> > That would be a problem for Tethys, as the server is in a remote
> > data centre and he only has access through a serial console.
>
> Not sure why one might want a server sitting in a remote dc, with no
> network access :) - even if its a private one.

For security, perhaps.  The server may well be offering services over
http but not running anything that allows a remote network login.
Restrict access to the serial console and then you lock down security on
the terminal server.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.