[Gllug] KDE login trouble

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 20:15:01 UTC 2009

Ian Northeast wrote:
> Sean Burlington wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>     this morning I've been having serious KDE troubles.
>>
>> I decided to reboot may laptop for a change instead of suspending it -
>> and when I tried to log back KDE was hanging after the password screen.
>>
>> I've tried moving .kde and .kderc - no change.
>>
>> I have free disk space
>>
>> I can log in as another user
>>
>> Ubuntu 8.10 + KDE 4.1
>>
>> Any clues as to what else could be in my profile and blocking the login
>> would be much appreciated.
>
> Can you log in at a text console (ctrl-alt-F2 to activate one)? Even if
> you can't you're more likely to get helpful error messages. If you can,
> then try "startkde".

Sorry, make that "startx -- :2". Startkde doesn't start an X server, I'd
misremembered. The "-- :2" is to specify the second X server, as you've
already got kdm running on the first. If that starts some other window
manager or a "raw" X server (an empty greyish screen - if you get this
kill it with ctrl-alt-backspace) create a .xinitrc and put "startkde" in it.

Regards, Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk