[Gllug] KDE login trouble

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 19:35:40 UTC 2009

Sean Burlington wrote:
> Hi all,
>     this morning I've been having serious KDE troubles.
>
> I decided to reboot may laptop for a change instead of suspending it -
> and when I tried to log back KDE was hanging after the password screen.
>
> I've tried moving .kde and .kderc - no change.
>
> I have free disk space
>
> I can log in as another user
>
> Ubuntu 8.10 + KDE 4.1
>
> Any clues as to what else could be in my profile and blocking the login
> would be much appreciated.

Can you log in at a text console (ctrl-alt-F2 to activate one)? Even if
you can't you're more likely to get helpful error messages. If you can,
then try "startkde".

BTW I prefer to use text login and start the desktop manually, it
prevents the sort of problem you're having from stopping me logging in
at all.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk