[Gllug] experiences with mobile broadband devices?

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Fri Jun 26 22:51:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 08:06 +0100, Magnus Leuthner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about getting mobile broadband as a replacement of
> "normal" wired broadband. Does anybody know whether these devices work
> with GNU/Linux? E.g. does the device that comes with the T-Mobile plan
> work with Linux, are there drivers? How stable are they?
>
> Thanks for any feedback

The first and MOST important thing to recognise is that it's NOT
"BROADBAND".  It's horribly limited, some ports are deliberately
blocked, there's all sorts of nasty bandwidth-reducing tricks employed
(including deliberate quality reductions), there is filtering of some
content and the "speed" is still slower than a good dial-up!  It's also
outrageously expensive...

On the other hand, it does provide some small measure of mobile
connectivity...

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk