[Gllug] experiences with mobile broadband devices?

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Mon Jun 29 09:29:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:51:05PM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> The first and MOST important thing to recognise is that it's NOT
> "BROADBAND".  It's horribly limited, some ports are deliberately
> blocked, there's all sorts of nasty bandwidth-reducing tricks employed
> (including deliberate quality reductions), there is filtering of some
> content and the "speed" is still slower than a good dial-up!  It's also
> outrageously expensive...

I don't think the pays as you go range of mobile broadband products are
outrageously expensive. The monly subscriptions probably are, however the
pay as go for restricted access are quite cost affective. Vodaphone do a 15
quid for 1G service the quota does not expire. T-mobile have a 2 quid a day
service, you only have to use it once every 6 months (you can also buy 7
days for 10 quid and 30 days for 20 quid, via text message). The interesting
thing about the T-Mobile service is it has the same 3Gig limit they monthy
service has, T-Mobile also don't charge you extra if you go over your limit
some services this can be a very expensive thing to do.

I however agree with everyone else they are not broadband to me far more
like dial up. They are a useful tool to have when nothing else is
available

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk