[Gllug] WiFi modem / routers etc - recommendations for increased range please!

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 09:09:46 UTC 2009

2009/6/7 Bob Giles <thecorfiot at gmail.com>:

> I would ultimately like to be able to access the network over three
> floors, all of which are separated by reinforced concrete. There is an
> awful lot of steel used in the construction of our house which tends to
> play havoc with wireless signals.

Put a wireless access point on each floor and link them with either
normal ethernet cable, or ethernet over mains power links.

> The only other 'issue' that I have is that we have an ISDN phone system
> and the modem/router has to connect through this.

ISDN is rather old technology now. Why are you still using it?
I have extensive technical knowledge of ISDN and supplied equipment to telcos.
I used to have ISDN for my home office, but dumped it a long time ago
in favour of ADSL.
ADSL is much much faster for internet traffic than ISDN. ADSL not only
gives you a fast internet connection, it also gives you a standard
POTS telephone line for your fixed phone line. I also had a fax
attached to my ISDN line, but that has been replaced with an online
FAX service, so I don't need a fax machine any more. Any incoming
faxes simply get emailed to me. Do you still need outgoing faxes?
Email seems to have taken over now.

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk