[Gllug] Mains ethernet adapters WAS: WiFi modem / routers etc - recommendations for increased

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:37:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> On 06/08/2009 11:29 PM, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> > The ones we've got here have selectable channels and then can be
> > individually coded so that you can use several of them on the same
> > supply.
>
> Is there a need to use Windows/OSX s/w to achieve this ?

The Devolo ones I got about 1 year ago, came with a .tar.gz which
(poorly) compiled in to a cmdline utility.  This lets me detect the
other devices on my mains by mac address and configure a password for
them to share (I believe it's something like basic 56 bit DES).

I was impressed at this effort even if I needed to use hacker guile to
actually compile it, because seriously, somebody with zero mac/windows
machines IS a hacker :)

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk