[Gllug] Seeking some laptop advice

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Fri Jun 5 10:16:03 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> btw, Lenovo and Fujitsu still produce some decent kit as well these days.

We moved to Fujitsu laptops at work (Lifebook E8310) because the
marketing people didn't like the 'blocky' look of the IBM/Lenovo lines.
  They seem OK in build quality though not as good as the IBMs we had
before: keyboards are a bit flimsy IMX, and some of the connectors use
the 'held on by a thin strand of rubber' covers which get tatty very
quickly and seem to me very likely to break off.  They were a bit
cheaper than the IBMs too.

They all have XP on, of course, but I did install Ubuntu 8.04 64bit on
one for a while and everything important seemed to work (graphics
driver, wireless) but didn't test the built in SD or 3G modems.  No idea
if you can buy them anywhere without Windows pre-installed.

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk