[Gllug] Seeking some laptop advice

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Fri Jun 5 15:28:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 11:11 +0100, Juergen Schinker wrote:

> i recommend and in that order:
>
> Sony Vaio

Overpriced junk.  My wife has one.

> ;Toshiba

Utterly unreliable.  Drives that fail in months, batteries that catch
fire - real rubbish!

> ;HP

Are you drunk?  These things are identical to the "Advent" rubbish
shifted by PC World - go figure!

> ;IBM

Now you're talking!  I've had several IBM / Lenovo machines over the
years, and all have been excellent!

> i had one of these Brands except IBM

Hard luck!  You've been deprived of a good laptop experience.

> and i would make shure that i get at least a SSD Disk at reasonable size

Why?  SSDs have a limited number of read / write cycles, and are
hideously expensive when compared to conventional hard drives.

>  because in the end a laptop is just a transportable Disk...

Not in my case.  It's often a replacement for a desktop machine when I'm
working either away from home or out of the office.  If you just need a
portable disk, you could save a fortune by just buying a few USB memory
sticks!

> The screen size should bee at least 800 Pixel in vertical (eliminate
> netbooks)

Why?

>  and i prefer the sonys coz of their brilliant screen quality
> although they are not so cheap

The quality of IBMs and the current crop of Dells make the Vaios look
really shabby!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk