[Gllug] experiences with mobile broadband devices?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Jun 26 07:42:12 UTC 2009

On Friday 26 June 2009, Magnus Leuthner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about getting mobile broadband as a replacement of
> "normal" wired broadband. Does anybody know whether these devices work
> with GNU/Linux? E.g. does the device that comes with the T-Mobile plan
> work with Linux, are there drivers? How stable are they?

Most of the devices are natively supported now so it's a matter of setting the
correct config for wvdial (etc...) The one I use is stable from the linux
pov, but the connection is flaky to say the least. There is regular drop-out,
the DNS is so slow that browsers etc often timeout before it responds. The
average speed I get is 12kb/s (yes, that's kilobits) and it's often as low as
a few hundred bits/s.

It's fine for checking email or some occasional reference to the web, but in
no way a replacement for "real" broadband.

FYI: I'm on three, but I know people with the same experience on other
networks.

Dx

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk