[Gllug] Large raid 5/5+0 setup

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jun 19 10:35:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:19:57AM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
[...]
> I would take the simple approach and just purchase a few PCs and just
> put 5 HDs in each for RAID 5. Make sure the PC case is a goodish one
> with lots of air flow due to heat produced by those HDs.

Do you mean actual PCs or just PC cases with drives and PSU in there? The
power consumption of the former will be consierable, the latter just
a disgusting hack.

You'd be better off taking a single machine and piling on external USB disks
once the case and/or internal controller is full. Use the internal disks for
performance and the external for bulk storage.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk