[Gllug] Large raid 5/5+0 setup

Andy Millar andy at andymillar.co.uk
Fri Jun 19 10:44:58 UTC 2009

> > I would take the simple approach and just purchase a few PCs and just
> > put 5 HDs in each for RAID 5. Make sure the PC case is a goodish one
> > with lots of air flow due to heat produced by those HDs.

If you want to add it bit by bit, you could use the online resize
supported by the 3ware 9650SE

http://darkviews.blogspot.com/2007/10/resizing-3ware-raid-5-array-with-linux.html

Get a nice large system with a lot of space for HDDs and start with 4 in
RAID6.

You can then add disks and expand the array size as your storage needs
grow.

There is really no need to split this over multiple systems.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk