[Gllug] Hi!

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Jun 28 12:31:22 UTC 2009

--------

Matthew Smith writes:

>There are also a lot of these people who have a history of using
>Unix/Linux to run servers, not desktop computers.  Graphical interfaces
>are undesirable on a server because they waste processor cycles and
>because X has its share of security problems.  GUIs are the norm for
>desktop use

Yep. I don't really think there are people seriously advocating that
a GUI has no place on a desktop. I'm among those that believes it has
no place on a server, though. FWIW, I've been using GUIs on Unix for
2 decades now, so it's not as if I see it as a new fangled thing. It's
just that a GUI has its place, and that place isn't on a server (for a
variety of technical rather than religious reasons).

>As for Ubuntu, it's not for noobs; it's Debian with an easier installer

That's not strictly true, though. Presumably in the name of ease of
use, they've made some bizarre (to me) choices that IIRC differ from
Debian. Like not having a root password or a firewall in the default
install, for example.

>easier access to restricted material like codecs and drivers

That comes down to philosophy. I don't believe they're doing Linux
any favours there, without informing the user about why using closed
source drivers is a bad idea, and why patented codecs are problematic.
I do understand that most end users are more pragmatic than idealistic,
and just want to play their MP3s and don't care about open source.
But I'd like to see Ubuntu at least make a bit more of an attempt to
educate them about the consequences of their actions (I have no problem
with them taking those actions, I just think they're doing it from a
position of ignorance -- and most won't care anyway, but some will).

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk