[Gllug] Fedora 11 gets it wrong

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Jun 10 08:25:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 08:45:00AM +0100, James wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2009, at 08:15, Tethys wrote:
>
> > 1. It's not a desktop OS, or at least, it shouldn't be. That's not
> >   how where it was initially aimed. In reality, it increasingly is.
>
> That's what it's built as. Unless you think they ship GNOME because
> people like pretty gui admin tools?

RHEL includes a whole pile of X frippery and your support contract is in
danger if you remove it.  It's designed to be administered from the GUI.
Last time I looked, the old curses-based config tools were still there
but had been renamed to indicate their deprecation and come with lots of
warnings about how their use is unsupported.  Which sucks.

Not that I ever liked the old RH config tools.  The whole RH
/etc/sysconfig mess is nasty, partly because it was designed with the
aim of being parsable by python scripts rather than human admins.

--
Bruce

Explota!: miles de lemmings no pueden estar equivocados.