[Gllug] Fedora 11 gets it wrong

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 10 08:29:57 UTC 2009

2009/6/10 Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org>:

> RHEL includes a whole pile of X frippery and your support contract is in
> danger if you remove it.  It's designed to be administered from the GUI.
> Last time I looked, the old curses-based config tools were still there
> but had been renamed to indicate their deprecation and come with lots of
> warnings about how their use is unsupported.  Which sucks.

That indeed sucks. I haven't done RHEL for a good long time.

I can say that in OpenSUSE and SLES the curses-based YAST works just fine.
I'm damn glad of it - on the desktop rather than the server if you're
installing a machine with a bleeding edge graphics
card, or indeed are evaluating several graphics cards you might (read
often do!) end up with a machine which does
not have a functioning X-console (OK, yeah, you can always configure a
VESA framebuffer) but it is just easier to fart around with a text
based console.

> Not that I ever liked the old RH config tools.  The whole RH
> /etc/sysconfig mess is nasty, partly because it was designed with the
> aim of being parsable by python scripts rather than human admins.

I rather like /etc/sysconfig - in fact these days by default I look in
/etc/sysconfig when I install a new package.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk