[Gllug] Hi!

Matthew Smith indigojo at blogistan.co.uk
Sun Jun 28 12:16:52 UTC 2009

Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 9:44 AM, <isabell121 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Surely if you use Linux you use Linux, there aren't many people out
>> there who do that I've found!  The younger generation using Linux is good,
>> in my opinion!  Or is Ubuntu just for new people, noobs?  Which distribution
>> would you suggest, then?
>
> I love Ubuntu, all my family, including my 70 year old mum, uses it.
>
> You will find that the older guard on the list have a sane, albeit I
> would say a tiny tinsy bit over sensitive, distrust of graphical
> interfaces in general.

There are also a lot of these people who have a history of using
Unix/Linux to run servers, not desktop computers.  Graphical interfaces
are undesirable on a server because they waste processor cycles and
because X has its share of security problems.  GUIs are the norm for
desktop use, and unless someone knows different, I don't believe there
are the text-only office applications that there were in the early 90s.
  I recall seeing people debate on the Usenet groups in the mid-1990s
and one of them said he didn't use a word processor; he used LaTeX for
all his text-producing needs, which struck me as both rather macho and
toffee-nosed towards people who don't want to learn a new markup
language just to write a letter.

As for Ubuntu, it's not for noobs; it's Debian with an easier installer
(actually, Debian took on the installer developed by Ubuntu before
Ubuntu went to installing from the live CD), more up-to-date packages,
easier access to restricted material like codecs and drivers, and a
slicker online infrastructure.  It's not popular because it's easy but
because it's good.  With my skill set, I could easily use Fedora or
OpenSUSE, and would like to have one of my two systems running an OS
other than Ubuntu for application testing purposes, but I found them
less reliable than I would have liked.  Don't let anyone tell you Ubuntu
is a beginner's OS or any such nonsense; it is simply well tuned to the
desktop user's needs.

Regards,

Matt Smith

--