[Gllug] Hi!

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Jun 28 13:16:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 01:16:52PM +0100, Matthew Smith wrote:

> There are also a lot of these people who have a history of using
> Unix/Linux to run servers, not desktop computers.  Graphical interfaces
> are undesirable on a server because they waste processor cycles and
> because X has its share of security problems.  GUIs are the norm for
> desktop use, and unless someone knows different, I don't believe there
> are the text-only office applications that there were in the early 90s.
>   I recall seeing people debate on the Usenet groups in the mid-1990s
> and one of them said he didn't use a word processor; he used LaTeX for
> all his text-producing needs, which struck me as both rather macho and
> toffee-nosed towards people who don't want to learn a new markup
> language just to write a letter.

Errrm, no. I write letters using troff (well, groff). Works well, means
that I can use my favourite editor (an emacs version) and nice small
source files. Also good for generating pretty documents from some program.
I occasionally use OoO, mainly when people send me a .doc or something.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk