[Gllug] Netbook recommendations?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Jun 11 21:42:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:11:22PM +0100, James wrote:
> I can't understand why you'd pay the apple tax and then throw away the
> good operating system that comes with it in order to make your life
> more difficult.

If you don't like the OS X GUI, which I don't, then the OS underneath is
not so compelling.  If I had to provide tech support to non-techies, I'd
much rather they were using OS X than Windows, but it doesn't have much
to offer me.  I find most of its "features" annoying.

If it works for you, wonderful.  No two people work the same way
(trackballs versus mice, Enlightenment versus Ratpoison etc).  I'm even
less interested in a flame war over this than over RHEL.

As for paying the apple tax - the Mac hardware I've converted has
normally been work laptops or second-hand kit.  There have been times
when I've felt flush enough to buy a shiny new mac and convert it but
these occasions have never yet coincided with the actual need to get new
kit.  I came very close to buying a nice new iMac and if it had happened
it would have had Linux on it (maybe a genuine BSD on it as well, but
nothing Darwinian); fate intervened.

But the OP didn't mention price ;)

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick