[Gllug] Netbook recommendations?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Jun 12 11:13:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:42:15PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:11:22PM +0100, James wrote:
> > I can't understand why you'd pay the apple tax and then throw away the
> > good operating system that comes with it in order to make your life
> > more difficult.
>
> If you don't like the OS X GUI, which I don't, then the OS underneath is
> not so compelling.

I'm torn between liking some features of OS X (GUI), and, as you say,
the underlying operating system.

For example, I think the implementation of virtual windows ("Spaces")
in OS X Leopard is far and away the best I've seen in any OS or window
manager.  It doesn't just look good, but it's enormously practical as
well.

On the other hand, lack of decent package management (application =
package is not package management) sucks.

And it's little annoyances like not being able to align or resize
windows decently.

> If I had to provide tech support to non-techies, I'd
> much rather they were using OS X than Windows, but it doesn't have much
> to offer me.  I find most of its "features" annoying.

For this reason, my parents have now been migrated to OS X (from
previously using Linux and Windows).  Hand-holding has virtually gone
away.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones