[Gllug] Netbook recommendations?

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Fri Jun 12 17:48:25 UTC 2009

On 12 Jun 2009, at 17:29, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:

> On Fri Jun 12 11:41 , Bob Giles <thecorfiot at gmx.co.uk> sent:
>
>> Hello,
>> ================Snip========================
>> I have thought about the Acer One, but I want to hear opinions
>> about any
>> similar machines.
>>
>> Needless to say I want something that runs Linux, either as sold or
>> that can receive it without much tinkering (I no longer have the
>> patience to spend long sessions making a home machine work :-) ).
>>
>> I would appreciate your experiences and recommendations on this
>> regard.
>>
>> =================Snip=========================
>
> My one and only complaint about the Acer Aspire One (bought two of
> them, get the
> white one) is the buttons on the trackpad are to the right and left
> sides, not on
> the bottom.  Not a huge issue and you can attach a USB mouse and
> resolve the
> issue completely.

It's very difficult to use a USB mouse while mobile. In an aircraft
seat or on a train, say. YMMV but that's what I wanted a tiny laptop
for, and as mentioned upthread I've basically pensioned it off to be a
home machine which runs with the lid closed as a server because it's
too crappy for portable use.

Shame, really.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk