[Gllug] Large raid 5/5+0 setup

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Thu Jun 18 11:01:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 08:35 +0100, John Winters wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 02:25:03 +0100, Justin Perreault
> <justinperreault at dl-jp.com> wrote:
> > The purpose of my searching is to sort out my myth-tv needs. I am
> > currently thinking that I would like to have 20 x 1TB SATA drives in a
> > raid 5+0 configuration for my backend server
>
> You must be a really serious TV watcher!  I've run various MythTV
> installations with anything up to 300G of HDD space, and never felt
> cramped.  Or is this for some sort of professional purpose?

For many things I am only tracking the last few episodes. For others
they are being held for future viewing or reviewing. I catch all movies
and anything on Teachers TV as well as a few other custom searches.

If I was more serious in my TV watching I would not be concerned about
the space I use.

Nothing professional. If I can get enough space I hope to move all my
dvds on to it so I can have them always at my finger tips, that and
being able to put them in the attic so they stop taking up living room
space.

Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk