[Gllug] Fedora 11 gets it wrong

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 13:48:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 09:25:23 +0100
Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:

> RHEL includes a whole pile of X frippery and your support contract is
> in danger if you remove it.  It's designed to be administered from
> the GUI. Last time I looked, the old curses-based config tools were
> still there but had been renamed to indicate their deprecation and
> come with lots of warnings about how their use is unsupported.  Which
> sucks.

Please do not spread FUD. There's no need to leave the graphical stuff
installed. There are a *few* packages that are pulled in as
dependencies, and of course removing these with "rpm -e --nodeps" may
invalidate your support. It's also a really, really stupid thing to do.

There is also no requirement to use the graphical tools to administer
the system. I do everything at the command line and have had no issues
with doing so.

> Not that I ever liked the old RH config tools.  The whole RH
> /etc/sysconfig mess is nasty, partly because it was designed with the
> aim of being parsable by python scripts rather than human admins.

That's your opinion. There are quite a few people that would disagree
with you, though.

It sounds like you've not had much exposure to RHEL lately. Perhaps
you might like to look into one of our training courses? :)

Cheers,

Jon
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCDS, RHCX, RHCA  email: jfautley at redhat.com
Senior Consultant                    cell :     +44 7841 558683
Global Professional Services
Red Hat UK, 200 Fowler Avenue, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 7JP