[Gllug] Fedora 11 gets it wrong

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jun 10 16:12:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 02:48:24PM +0100, Jon Fautley wrote:
[...]
> Please do not spread FUD. There's no need to leave the graphical stuff
> installed. There are a *few* packages that are pulled in as dependencies,
> and of course removing these with "rpm -e --nodeps" may invalidate your
> support. It's also a really, really stupid thing to do.

I gather that Red Hat support is not worth the paper it's written on unless
you require trivial Unix hand-holding, and it mainly serves as a security
blanket for management. Anybody doing sufficiently-advanced things with
their systems will quickly fall outside the scope of Red Hat support.

In particular, I recently read a jaw-dropping story of somebody who tried to
get Red Hat to support something, and the response was basically "fix it
yourself". But with even more chutzpah than that. I shall ask if I may
repost it here as the tale deserves a wider audience.

[...]
> It sounds like you've not had much exposure to RHEL lately. Perhaps you
> might like to look into one of our training courses? :)

That depends. How much would you pay me to attend, and will I have to drink
any Kool-Aid?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk