[Gllug] OT: Good KVM switch for a very heterogeneous environment.

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Thu Jun 18 04:25:00 UTC 2009

Hi James,

I knew there's be a few people who really knew their stuff knocking
around on here, thanks for your input and such a swift response :)

> Raitan and Rose are brands to add to the list.

Duly noted.

> You need to decide what Features you want first, to get a better
> recommendation.
>
> a) VGA/DVI/Dual Link DVI
> Be careful with DVI if you want HDCP encrypted transmission to your
> monitor, as not all KVMs will do this via a DVI.
> b) PS2/USB Hosts
> c) Number of Hosts
> d) Audio

a) VGA only is OK and more realistic given my budget I think.
b) Strong preference for both. Would PS2->USB conversion be easier than
the reverse or am I best off with a switch that has both ports?
c) 4
d) No

So bare bones really, I certainly don't need IP, device sharing or any
of the fancy-schmantzy other stuff you mentioned, just a basic solid
vanilla KVM that is happy to plug into almost anything.

Thanks again :)

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk