[Gllug] WiFi modem / routers etc - recommendations for increased range please!

Bob Giles thecorfiot at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 13:56:43 UTC 2009

Andrew Davies wrote:
> Consider, also, power line adaptors. They're similar to wireless in that
> you won't know what level of performance, if any, you're going to get
> until you plug them in but they *should* be a better alternative than
> trying to fight through steel.
> My BT Vision box came with a "free" pair and they work fine for allowing
> internet access over 15 feet between floors.
>
> I believe that there are issues with competing "standards" in this area
> so make sure you research them thoroughly. I'm sure that there are
> people here who can give you more information than me.

Andrew,

This is an avenue that I have considered but dismissed. I think that I
have left out an important bit of info. We are living in Greece and the
electrical supply is ... er ... different to say the least. For a start,
ring main systems are unheard of a nd a friend who had one installed by
an English sparks ended up with the local electrician refusing to even
look at a problem. If you draw the circuit, they tell you that it cannot
possibly work!

Having said, all that, I think that power line adaptors are cheap enough
and may give a couple a try as I am in the UK for a couple of days later
this week.

Bob G.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk