[Gllug] Netbook recommendations?

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 11:23:57 UTC 2009

On 12 Jun 2009, at 12:13, Richard Jones wrote:

> I'm torn between liking some features of OS X (GUI), and, as you say,
> the underlying operating system.

Chances are you're doing it wrong without realising :) See below

> On the other hand, lack of decent package management (application =
> package is not package management) sucks.

I never have any problems with desktop applications. For other apps,
there are choices

1. Fink. I don't use this, it's not officially supported under leopard
2. Macports. I used to use this. Great for getting basic tools like
wget.
3. What I do:

A debian VM with all the server-y stuff I could want and a lot of NFS
shares, for things like /var/www and /home/<yournamehere>

I then mount them into OSX with squiggle-k and I edit files in nice
gui tools from osx, on the debian server, which has apache and whatnot
there.

The final thing you need is of course a good terminal application.
Apple's is hateful but it's the only one that has the Visor[1] plugin
(indispensable IMO).

Usually i'm editing perl in Emacs or Textmate, have an ssh session
open to the server for using git and have nfs mounts so textmate will
work.

> And it's little annoyances like not being able to align or resize
> windows decently.

Eh, you get used to it. No, it's not ideal but the advantages more
than outweigh.

--James
[1] http://docs.blacktree.com/visor/visor

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk