[Gllug] PDF creation

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu Jun 25 07:23:34 UTC 2009

Peter Childs wrote:

> Linux Format have been doing a series of articles on how to automating
> bits of OOo.
>
> It goes down to open document files are just zip files, containing
> xml, a bit like jar files for java. Unzip them, edit the contents
> using standard text editing tools and rezip.

Built a setup that did just this a few years back with OOo 1.x

Generates reports as a PDF not via mail-merge but by unzipping, hack
XML, rezip.

Note that OOo doesn't run truly headless - you need an X session to put
it in for font handling. Running a macro headless involves something like:

/usr/bin/vncserver :1
DISPLAY=:1 /usr/bin/ooffice -headless macro:///Standard.My.Macro

You don't need to use vncserver - anything that gives you an X session.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk