[Gllug] LiVES 1.0.0-pre1 released !

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:28:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:59 AM, <salsaman at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, June 16, 2009 11:46, Peter Corlett wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:08:23PM +0200, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> I am very happy to announce, here is LiVES version 1.0.0-pre1. All
> >> features and APIs are now frozen for 1.0, only bug fixes will be made
> >> from
> >> now on until after the 1.0 release.
> >
> > You post these regular announcements assuming that people here know what
> > LiVES is and that we might care about it. Given that "lives" is an
> English
> > word, it's rather hard to google for.
> >
> > Add an introductory paragraph to tell us all what it is and why we might
> > be
> > interested. Otherwise people are going to remain unenlightened and you've
> > lost potential users.
> >
> > --
> >

> Well, as you say, you can google for it, at least here, it comes up as the
> first hit for "LiVES". Or you could try following the URL in my sig.
>
> Or perhaps you may have heard of LiVES - it is the best (probably) and
> most popular video editing software for Linux.
>
> The reason I post updates here is because I gave a presentation on it at
> gllug. Admittedly it was a couple of years ago, so perhaps before your
> time. But I assume that some people remember and are still interested.
>
> Also, the subject of video editing under Linux comes up now and again on
> the list, so I assume (maybe wrongly) that people are interested in the
> current state of development of Linux video software.
>
> If people object to my posting here then please say so, and I will stop
> posting news of new releases.
>
> Regards,
> Salsaman.
> http://lives.sourceforge.net

Don't be silly, just put a header of two lines with what your project is all
about before your postings. I think your posts are perfectly on topic, what
the other poster was requesting is context, which is a perfectly reasonable
think to ask IMHO.

2 years is a long time and there are people joining the list all the time.

(saying all the above as somebody that actually has put money towards
LIVES).