[Gllug] Thoughts on secondhand server guide price

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 15:09:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 03:50:29PM +0100, william pink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a IBM eServer xSeries 445 that we no longer require and are waiting
> to sell it to purchase other kit, the only problem I have is knowing what it
> is worth?
>
> It is a Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz Quad core with 12Gb of memory and two 156Gb SCSI
> disks
>
> Any suggestions?

You would need to consider how old it is, and how much an equivalent
machine would cost now. Reduce the price by maybe 25% for being second
hand and then an extra 25% for each year of age. That's just a rough
estimate though.

You may want to adjust the price by how quickly you want to sell it
and also the current market place. If tech businesses start going
bust as quickly as when the dot-com bubble ended, then the flood
of liquidation sales will greatly reduce the price of second hand
machines.

Also a more expensive machine is going to much harder to sell quickly
than a cheaper one, as hobbyists or small companies will be less
interested.

It would also be useful to know the exact model of Xeon CPU, as
earlier releases did not support 64bit or Intel-VT. Some people
may need a CPU that supports those.