[Gllug] experiences with mobile broadband devices?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Jun 29 17:51:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 19:18 +0200, Christof Meerwald wrote:
> What pings/latency do you get from your connection? A friend of mine
> mentioned some time ago that pings over his mobile broadband connection were
> just around 60-70 ms (which sounds acceptable to me) over HSDPA/HSUPA (in
> Austria via T-Mobile).

Latency is hugely variable. At best it's about 60ms however it can be at
that level one second and then 2000ms the next without any change on my
part.

> Isn't part of the problem that the UK networks don't widely support HSUPA
> yet (and you just get HSDPA with higher latencies).

The problem is not just the reliance of HSDPA as the "best available"
service in the UK but rather that the network operators are still
running their networks for voice and sms and have not really done enough
work to re-engineer the networks to facilitate decent mobile data
services.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk