[Gllug] Linux has arrived

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Mar 22 14:22:13 UTC 2009

On 22 Mar 2009, Alain Williams verbalised:
> What proportion of M$ boxen get some kind of infection is a year - on
> average ?  I don't have any, so don't know.

I don't know, but I suspect it's lower than estimated. I've never had an
infection at work: my mother's never had one at home despite running
unpatched Win98 with no antivirus scanners for many years.

I suspect that if you don't use Outlook or IE (which she never has:
Turnpike and Firefox for her now, Netscape before), and don't wander
around to, ahem, nasty websites, and browse with images off (on a 12k
modem line you don't want them!), and don't install new stuff, and
basically just use your machine as a simple tool to do a few jobs,
you're not going to come into contact with many malware infection
vectors.

(It still sucked: it was Win98! But it didn't suck infectively.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk